I went to the gas station to fill up (almost ran out on the way there…great planning skills Kev x_x). As I was walking back from the register, this guy on the opposite side of the…gas (thing? stand? provider of gas? something?) asked me if I could spare some money or let him get a bit of gas from mine, since he was completely out of gas and didn’t have any money with him.
Immediately, my mom’s warnings of muggers and kidnappers popped into my head, so being my paranoid self, I said I didn’t have any more money with me. He looked really sad, and apologized for bothering me.
As I was filling up, I kept looking back at him. He looked so stressed out…he kept calling someone(s) but I don’t think said someone(s) was picking up. Obviously, it was a bit suspicious…but agh, I just felt so bad for lying, and he looked so upset…so I ended up giving him the $10 left in my wallet, and as soon as he saw me walk up to him with the money, he just looked so happy. “Thank you so much, God bless you, thank you!” (at that point I wished I had a bit more…but he said that was plenty enough. And said about six more thank yous before I drove off)
I know if I told any adult in my family what happened, they would probably tell me that the guy was probably just looking to extort some money or something, or that I did something incredibly stupid and dangerous by giving him the money…but really, I don’t care. I want to believe that he honestly needed the help, and that I did the right thing by helping him out, because I want to believe that people are good enough to help out a stranger for no reason other than the sake of helping another. That was a terribly worded sentence, but still…I don’t want to lose all my faith in humanity just yet. I can have that, at the very least…right?
- myasha26 said: You did the right thing ^^b I’m proud of you Mistress :)
- screwds said: You make me believe in humanity again! Besides … doing it for yourself and for him makes the world a better place…and even if the Asian mentality is being stingy, it’s…not always the right mentality. >.>
- screwds likes this
- endlessinfinity likes this
- endlessinfinity said: I don’t think it’s a good thing if the expected reaction from your family is that “he’s just trying to get free money”.. But yeah, just be careful. ^^
- oropesce likes this
- dreampsychedelica said: i think you did the right thing ^^
- dreampsychedelica likes this
- kristinart posted this